- Today there are 155 national forests in 42 states, plus one in Puerto Rico, comprising almost 190 million acres — 8.5 percent of the nation’s total land area.
- More than 130,000 miles of hiking trails in the U.S. are open to the public through the U.S. Forest Service.
- More than 4,000 designated campgrounds in the U.S. are operated by the U.S. Forest Service.
- Recreation is a $646 billion a year industry, compared to the $340 billion spent annually on cars and car parts.
- Recreation provides 6.1 million jobs to Americans.
 U.S. Forest Service. About Us. Forest Service History. http://www.fs.fed.us/aboutus/history/ (accessed June 5, 2013). U.S. Forest Service. Recreation. Programs. Facts. Fact Sheethttp://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/facts/facts_sheet.shtml (accessed June 7, 2013). Outdoor Industry Association. Research. Outdoor Recreation Economy. Recreation Economy Resources. National Report. 2012 Outdoor Recreation Economy Report. http://www.outdoorindustry.org/advocacy/recreation/resources.php (accessed June 12, 2013)
This information and more can be found on http://www.americanforests.org